Monday, December 1, 2008

Avari




(October 2008) This work is a linoleum print of a floating lighthouse. After several mistakes, I've learned properly how to create my print so that everything is aligned properly and the ink is the correct constancy, however, since this project builds upon itself, my mistakes are still clearly visible in my final versions. The above picture is one of the best aligned and printed picture of my 25 prints. The name for this piece is Avari, meaning "of the heavens", since it is floating in the sky. I particularly enjoyed making this work as it brought up imagery of Fantasia and Sky Pirates, allowing a whole story of a parallel universe to be built upon it that is more difficult to do when dealing with mythical creatures.

My linoleum after all cuts had been made, if you look carefully you can still see all the shapes before they were cut out.

Before Deciding I wanted to print this work I was debating between oil paints and water colors, or a combination of the two. To help me decide, I created the above picture, to compare different ideas. In the end I chose printing due to the simplicity of the picture, and the lighthouse scape reminded me of the prints of another student in the class.

Before beginning my print I decided on my colors and made sure I was satisfied with how the end result would look.

No comments:

Post a Comment